Creativity circa 1991, little has changed since then as John Cleese aptly observes in this lecture. No new research has been done, obviously because it’s a dead end research.
So what distinguished creative people from not (so) creative people? The ability to PLAY. Worth watching if you feel you are good at it (playing).
Checklist for entering open (creative mode):
1) Set up space – an oasis of quiet
2) Set start time and end time – play is impossible without time limits (90 minutes)
3) Don’t take the FIRST solution, the most creative solution usually comes after cliches.
4) Confidence – forget about the fear of mistakes, the essence of playfulness
5) Humor – catalyst for entering open mode quickly; the more serious the subject, the more needed humor is.